Thursday, August 26, 2010

Farmer's Market & Spaghetti sauce

We found a wonderful local farmer's market yesterday and loaded up on fresh veggies and herbs! I love to make homemade spaghetti sauce so I decided to make some today.

we used zucchini, yellow squash, onions, bell peppers, spinach (I had cut and frozen some from a previous dinner) fresh basil, and parsley. Then I used hunts natural tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes I would love to have home grown tomatoes and make my own sause, but this works ok..


first heat some oil, I use my dutch oven it adds such yummy flavors
Then I saute the onions and garlic, I will be blending the sauce so I don't worry about size
next I chop up the veggies and throw them in..again I don't worry about size of veggies
ohh such yummy smells!
Then I add the sauce and herbs, bring to a boil and then simmer sometimes for about an hour
now it's ready for blending
I love my emersion blender, it makes this step so easy! I used to mix 1/2 at a time in a blender!
The sauce seems to thick so I added 4 more cans of tomato sauce
I usually love to use mason jars, but since we have just moved I don't have any except one...

So I used plastic bags ( and will re-use for next time) and made 7 bags+dinner tonight of 4-6cups....

1 comment:

Jolene Warren said...

This is awesome! How many times have we talked about this?? But your dutch over looks a LOT less "loved" than ours does! hehe Ours isn't even CLOSE to being white on the inside anymore, do to all of the braising that we do in it! O'well!!